Skip to main content

Fun for Valentine's Day

Hello dear readers and welcome to another day of frivolity. Since Valentine's Day is swiftly approaching, I thought we could have some fun with love and cupid and all that. 


 First, this joke from Guy-Sports.com: Mike walked into a post office just before Valentine's day, and he couldn't help noticing a middle-aged, balding man standing in a corner sticking "Love" stamps on bright pink envelopes with hearts all over them. Then the man got out a bottle of perfume from his pocket and started spraying scent over the envelopes.

By now Mike's curiosity had gotten the better of him, and so he asked the man why he was sending all those cards. The man replied, "I'm sending out 500 Valentine cards signed, 'Guess who?'"

"But why?" asked Mike.

"I'm a divorce lawyer," the man replied.

The following are a random sampling of funny, and serious, quotes one can find on the Internet.

"My boyfriend told me I can do with him whatever I want on Valentine’s Day, so I tied him up and went to the nightclub." Anonymous

"If love is blind, why is lingerie so popular?" Author Unknown

"It is probably not love that makes the world go around, but rather those mutually supportive alliances through which partners recognize their dependence on each other for the achievement of shared and private goals." Fred Allen

"Love is being stupid together." Paul Valery

"Love is much nicer to be in than an automobile accident, a tight girdle, a higher tax bracket, or a holding pattern over Philadelphia."  Judith Viorst

"Nobody will ever win the battle of the sexes. There’s too much fraternizing with the enemy."   Henry Kissinger

"I don't understand why Cupid was chosen to represent Valentine's Day. When I think about romance, the last thing on my mind is a short, chubby toddler coming at me with a weapon." Anonymous


"Valentine's Day money-saving tip: Break up on February 13th, get back together on the 15th." David Letterman

And I had to end on a serious note when I saw this quote: "If you have only one smile in you give it to the people you love."  By Maya Angelou

Please do leave a comment and let us know what special plans you have for Valentine's Day this year. Are you going for serious romance or something silly? Or a bit of both?

Posted by Maryann Miller - novelist, screenwriter, editor and sometimes actress. Her most recent mystery, Doubletake, was chosen as the Best Mystery for 2015 by the Texas Association of Authors. She also writes the critically acclaimed Seasons Mystery Series. All of her books are available as e-books and as paperbacks, and a complete listing can be found on the books page of her website. For information about her editing services, visit her website. When not working, Maryann likes to take her dog for a walk and work outside on her little ranch in East Texas. 

Comments

  1. No plans, no observation, no celebration...but it has been said more than once that "love makes the world go 'round." I think that means 365 days a year. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so right about loving 365 days a year and not just one, but it is nice to have the holiday as a reminder and an opportunity to stop everything else and make the day special.

      Delete
  2. First Valentines with a new partner this year so treating her to a romantic meal and pampering her until she cant take it anymore.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Some choice offerings here! My favourite wisecrack is the one about lingerie. Thanks for the laughs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome, Debby. That was one of my favorites, too.

      Delete
  4. Our first order of business will be to sit at our respective computers waiting for registration to open for this year's Writers' Police Academy. It fills up in hours on opening day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Seriously? Not even a kiss good morning first? LOL

      Delete
  5. Every day is Valentine's Day with my wife ... not sure she shares that sentiment ... I got the better end of that deal.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a lovely sentiment. Not sure I know how to react to a serious Christopher. (smile)

      Delete
  6. I had to steal...er, borrow that lawyer joke. Hope you don't mind.

    Saturday morning we're feeding the homeless with the Boy Scouts. Does that count as romantic?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Loved those, Maryann. I'm driving four hours to babysit my granddaughter, so my son and his wife can go out together, alone. Husband will stay home with the dog. He wouldn't know it was Valentine's Day unless I told him anyway.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

The Blood-Red Pencil is a blog focusing on editing and writing advice. If a glitch is preventing you from commenting, visit our Facebook page and drop your wise words there: Blood-Red Pencil on Facebook