Skip to main content

Promoting on the Internet

I received a review copy of Penny C. Sansevieri's revised Red Hot Internet Publicity: An Insider's Guide to Marketing Your Book on the Internet so I could review it on Bloogernews.net -- which I will be doing soon, honest.

Penny Sansevieri is with Author Marketing Experts and her book is chock full of good tips and advice , as well as giving links to Web sites with more good tips and advice. It is a wonderful resource for any writer, and I am already highlighting points to use when I start promoting my next book.

The author uses bullets and lists, which makes it easy to pick out the points to highlight, and this list really caught my attention:

Golden Rules of Social Media and Internet Marketing
1. Listen: listen and observe, see what's being said online and how you can participate.
2. Participate: join in, share stuff, be helpful.
3. Give first, ask later. The best rule of thumb is to give more than you take.
4. Dialog: communicate (don't join and stand in a corner, which is something I have been known to do)
5. Don't try and do everything: it's not always a great idea to have 35 social networking sites. Join only as many as you can manage.
6. Leave your wallet at the door: don't show up online wanting to make money. Show up ready to share and enlighten. This will take you much further.
7. Don't be afraid to share your opinion.
8. Be honest: it's tempting for some to embellish or lie. Who's gonna find out about it, right? Wrong. The Internet has a way of sifting out the fake stuff and embracing the real messages.

To this list I would add:
Be professional in all your posts and comments, especially on social sites and lists where you get comfortable after a while and are tempted to post a rant about your publisher or editor. Don't put something out there on the Internet that has the potential to come back and bite you in any part of your anatomy.

----------------------

Maryann Miller is the Managing Editor of WinnsboroToday.com, an online community magazine, and a reviewer for Bloggernews.net and ForeWord Magazine. Her latest books are One Small Victory and Play it Again, Sam. Visit her Web site for information about her books and her editing services. If you have a good book, she can help you make it better. When she is not working, Maryann loves to play "farmer" on her little ranch in the beautiful Piney Woods of East Texas.


Bookmark and Share

Comments

  1. Great tips. I especially agree with joining into the conversations (hard for me, but I'm trying) and being professional online at all times. Thanks!

    Elizabeth
    Mystery Writing is Murder

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great advice. I'm actually working on #4 myself as I tend to be a notorious lurker :D
    Terisa Wilcox

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good advice. I especially like yours. I know that some people are intentionally controversial, but I don't think it helps them. I guess it depends on what their end game is, though.

    Helen
    Straight From Hel

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very good information. Watching what we say, how we say it, and how we come across can't be over-emphasized. And the encouragement to participate in discussions rather than lurk in the shadows is great advice, especially for those of us who tend to not speak out.

    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  5. Excellent -- especially about the giving and listening. I know I tune out (unfriend/unfollow) people who do nothing but self-promotion. Once you've established a voice in the community, some self-promotion is acceptable, particularly if you've found a niche of people with shared interests.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great tips. Nobody likes a pushy person.

    Morgan Mandel
    http://morganmandel.blogspot.com
    http://www.morganmandel.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like tips 3 and 6 the best. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I follow her site and get lots of interesting and useful tips - then fail to use them. But they're there in the back of my mind. One day...

    ReplyDelete
  9. In addition to keeping most of my rants to myself, I also keep my blog nonpolitical. My Twitter posts are sometimes a little more impulsive.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for all the great comments. That always adds so much to the original post. And I'm with you, Sheila. I have all these great sites bookmarked and find I run out of time each day before I can go visit and get more advice. Sigh....

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

The Blood-Red Pencil is a blog focusing on editing and writing advice. If a glitch is preventing you from commenting, visit our Facebook page and drop your wise words there: Blood-Red Pencil on Facebook